Though it doesn’t get as much national media attention as health problems like cancer or diabetes, tens of millions of Americans suffer from some form of hearing loss every day. These patients aren’t just older individuals, either—hearing loss can affect anyone, regardless of their age or overall health. Continue reading this post from your hearing aid clinic in Fairbanks, AK to learn a few of the less commonly talked-about side effects of hearing loss:
- Difficulty learning: Imagine sitting in class and not being able to hear what the teacher was saying. It stands to reason that this would make learning incredibly difficult, if not flat-out impossible. This is what young kids with hearing problems go through. It’s essential that parents treat any hearing loss issues with the utmost urgency to ensure their kids don’t fall behind in school.
- Trouble at work: Though hearing loss is probably most common in those who are already retired and out of the workforce, that’s not to say that you might not work alongside someone who has trouble hearing in one way or another. As their coworker, you should remember to be patient and understanding when interacting with this person.
- Speech problems: If you’re close friends with anyone with hearing issues, you may have noticed they have a slight speech impediment. This is common amongst those who grew up with hearing issues, who were never able to fully hear the words coming out of their mouth. Luckily, many speech issues can be cleared up with the right combination of hearing aids and some speech pathology classes.
- Relationship issues: Verbal communication is an essential part of all of our relationships. Though folks with hearing loss may be able to talk just fine, they still might be unable to hear what others around them are saying. Not being able to have normal conversations with loved ones can lead to feelings of isolation, sadness and even depression down the road.
- Enjoyment of music and movies: Imagine sitting in a movie theater and only hearing part of the dialogue, or going to a concert and missing the majority of the songs. That seems like a pretty awful scenario, right? This is something that folks with hearing loss have to suffer through each time they want to see a movie or listen to music. The best way to combat this issue is to get set up with some hearing aids.
What can be done?
The good news is that you don’t have to live with hearing loss for the rest of your life. Instead, set up an appointment to have your hearing examined by our team of professionals at Northland Hearing Services, Inc. After a brief consultation, we’ll be able to recommend a treatment solution for your hearing loss. Hearing aids are a viable option, but it’ll ultimately be up to your doctor to decide if this is the best course of action.
If you’re experiencing any hearing loss, we recommend setting up an appointment for a hearing test with Northland Hearing Services, Inc. right away. The sooner you have your hearing checked at our hearing aid clinic in Fairbanks, AK, the faster your life can get back on track.
Categorised in: Hearing Loss